Steven N. Severinghaus
I am a full-stack developer with seventeen years of professional experience and am seeking opportunities to apply my skills in ways that make people’s lives better. I love making tools work together, exploring data, and finding ways to help people be more productive with technology.
- ColdFusion, PHP, JSP, AJAX
- SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres
- Scripting, Ant, CVS, Subversion, data transformation
- Apache, Weblogic, Linux
- Java, PHP, Perl, Python, UserRPL, and more!
available in my curriculum vitae.
2008 — 2014: Gargoyle Technologies, Inc.
- Built and deployed a geospatial fiber-optic network management system with Google Maps, Google Earth, and mobile front ends; middle layers in Perl and PHP; and a PostgreSQL database.
- Moved the company’s public website into a content management system (Drupal); customized and deployed Drupal e-commerce sites for clients.
- Developed a web-based customer support system that allowed non-experts to diagnose network problems, integrated with a technician scheduling and trouble ticket system.
- Managed a large and diverse ecosystem of mostly Linux-based servers and network components, including automation of software updates, configuration management, and backup and recovery systems.
2006 — 2008: Urban Programs, U of I Extension
- Improvements and feature additions to existing web applications: podcasting, web-to-print,
AJAX, and sharing new knowledge with coworkers.
- Rapid, team-oriented development of a number of smaller, content-focused websites.
2002 — 2006: Illinois TRAILL, UIUC
- Built the Illinois TRAILL website, a portal for experts at the University of Illinois to disseminate
information on various extension and livestock topics.
- Set up and customized an online store for Illinois TRAILL to sell class materials and other media for the
Department of Animal Sciences.
- Many other smaller web applications: networking, business tools, resource management.
2002 — 2003: Web Technology Group, UIUC
- Built a templated website for the Office of Continuing Education that allowed people unfamiliar
with web publication to easily create new content.
- Began work on the Illinois TRAILL web portal for experts at UIUC to share their work and
expertise with the livestock and agriculture community.
2000 — 2002: MedExpert International, Inc.
- Designed and implemented the database access layer for a multi-tier enterprise application.
- Worked with a small team to implement an integrated set of simple, complete web applications.
1998 — 2000: Corps of Engineers Research Lab
- Designed and implemented a web front-end for a package that models effects of military smokes
and obscurants on threatened and endangered species. I presented a on this project at the ESRI
International User Conference in 2000.
- Prototyped an interactive map repository for the Marine Corps base in 29 Palms, CA.
- Graduated from the University High School in Champaign-Urbana in
1998. There I studied Russian for four years (continued at UIUC
for two semesters) and Japanese for one year.
- Completed a BA in Mathematics and Computer Science at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in August, 2006.